Wednesday 12 March 2008

Books clubs ... and all the good things!

We met up today for the first official book club meeting, within our home ed meeting. J and F, two of our eldest 'teen' girls moderated the meeting, with the mums sitting on hand. But mums weren't needed as the girls done a great job without us. They led the questions and helped arrange for the next 2 months books so everyone's got plenty of time to organise getting the books and audio versions.

We also had a look at our mummified bits of apple which we found were actually doing it, but need a bit longer to brew, so to speak. Rates of change were different depending on where we had all stored them so we're going to look again in another couple of weeks.

One bad thing actually after all the rain yesterday the badgers had been at the new turf again!! I think there were two of them this time, so I admit to swearing profusely under my breath as dh went to fill the holes again. However we then found a dead badger in the kerb outside our house so I felt bad about cursing them. Unfortunately the very busy main road crosses the badger path which will have been there for centuries so its quite a common occurance here.

The good things. Well I was thinking this morning about all the good things in my life. Tomorrow a friend from our home ed group is coming over for the day with her girls who Hettie gets on really well with, and as it happens I really get on well with their mum, she makes me fall about laughing, so we're excited about them visiting for the first time.

Our business is going really well and so that's great. We're getting on with the garden and having some of our house re-decorated soon, which includes my bedroom at last. I have big plans. Our holiday is booked for the summer for Norfolk at my IL's and Devon, and hopefully my lovely dh & I are going to sneak away for a weekend together soon. Yipee!

Ok so Issy isn't sleeping too well at present, but she's reading well now (anything & everything) and learning everything fast. She's managed to get herself to Brownies, is enjoying her drama group and loves her ballet lessons. And Hettie is going great guns, learning poetry and times tables, writing again and has read a book to herself, which is a huge achievement for her. She's keen to learn again, not every day, but most days and is learning study skills which will see her through into the future.

Wow thats a lot of good things now I've sat down and thought about it, maybe I'll pin a list to the wall and remind myself of them more often.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad the book group went well, it is lovely to hear that groups can be successful.
Sorry about the turf :(

How lovely to have so many positives to list. I am going to make a list of good things tomorrow. After the day I had,today, I need reminding!

Mrs. Darling said...

Sounds like a good day!

Are you going to show pics of the mmmified apple? That would be cool!

dawn klinge said...

A book club for children sounds like a lot of fun. I'm glad it went well. I may have to try this idea sometime.
p.s. I left an award for you at my blog

Thea said...

A list of good things .. what a smart idea, I wonder what we could put on that.

Glad today went well, we really intended to be there, but, you know how it gets sometimes... best laid plans and all that....

Lima said...

Loved your list of positives, great idea. :-)

The book club sounds a great success, if only more HE groups were as good as yours...

Sorry to hear about the badgers, both sad and annoying in the same time.

Maymomvt said...

I am also one who could use a positives list posted on the wall now and then! Sorry about the turf--I have a funny feeling that our lawn will be under attack by the deer once we lose our snow.

Tammy said...

I like the idea of listing the good things. What a nice thing to read as I make my tour of favorite blogs. :)

Bridget said...

I echo Linda, I wish we had a HE group like that, the book club sounds great, my daughter goes to one run by our library and she really enjoys it
Bridget X